Dexed is a FM synthesizer closely modeled on the famous DX7 by a well-known Japanese manufacturer. MiniDexed is a port to run it on a bare metal Raspberry Pi (without a Linux kernel or operating system). Currently it is not functional yet. Contributions are highly welcome.
Contributions are highly welcome.
- Get Dexed to build with circle-stdlib
- Upload SD card contents to GitHub Releases
- Get it to run on a Raspberry Pi 4 without crashing
- Get it to produce some sound on the headphone jack
- Get it to react to USB MIDI
- Get it to react to MIDI via Raspberry Pi 4 GPIO
- Get 8 Dexed instances to run simultaneously (like in a TX816) and mix their output together
- Add functionality for loading
.syxfiles (e.g., from Dexed_cart_1.0.zip)
- Add a way to configure each Dexed instance
- Allow for each Dexed instance to be stereo shifted
- Add reverb effect
I am wondering whether Dexed could be ported to Circle, in order to recreate basically an open source equivalent of the TX802 (8 DX7 instances without the keyboard in one box).
- Download from GitHub Releases
- Put the files into the root directory of a FAT32 formatted partition on microSD card
- Boot in Raspberry Pi 4
E.g., on Ubuntu 20.04:
git clone https://github.com/probonopd/MiniDexed cd MiniDexed # Recursively pull git submodules git submodule update --init --recursive # Install toolchain wget -q https://developer.arm.com/-/media/Files/downloads/gnu-a/10.3-2021.07/binrel/gcc-arm-10.3-2021.07-x86_64-aarch64-none-elf.tar.xz tar xf gcc-arm-*-*.tar.xz export PATH=$(readlink -f ./gcc-*/bin/):$PATH # Build circle-stdlib library cd circle-stdlib/ ./configure -r 4 --prefix "aarch64-none-elf-" make -j$(nproc) cd .. # Build MiniDexed export PATH=$(readlink -f ./gcc-*/bin/):$PATH cd src make -j$(nproc) ls *.img cd .. # Get Raspberry Pi boot files cd ./circle-stdlib/libs/circle/boot make make armstub64 cd - # Make zip that contains Raspberry Pi 4 boot files mkdir -p sdcard cp -r ./circle-stdlib/libs/circle/boot/* sdcard mv sdcard/config64.txt sdcard/config.txt rm -rf sdcard/config32.txt sdcard/README sdcard/Makefile sdcard/armstub sdcard/COPYING.linux cp ./src/*img sdcard/ zip -r MiniDexed_Raspberry_Pi_4.zip sdcard/*
- dcoredump for https://codeberg.org/dcoredump/MicroDexed, a Dexed port to a microcontroller
- rsta2 for the initial code and for https://github.com/rsta2/circle, the library to run code on bare betal Raspberry Pi (without a Linux kernel or operating system)
- smuehlst for https://github.com/smuehlst/circle-stdlib, a version with Standard C and C++ library support